Gray & Yellow Maxi Dress (Round 1) ~ Diane's Vintage Zest!

Gray & Yellow Maxi Dress (Round 1)

The last few projects that I've sewn have gone like this: begin project --> dislike how it fits --> put away into a deep dark corner --> pretend it doesn't exist.

Well, this is starting to become pretty normal, and I don't like it!

I've made it my mission to stop this habit before it forms, and this will be my first crack at transitioning from amateur seamstress to tailor.  This will be my "before" post, so hopefully I have a great "after" post to match!


-DSC02446


I actually sewed this in the couple of days before mimi g's conference with the intention of wearing it while going fabric shopping.  Obviously, I didn't get to wear it, but I did bring it with me on Day 2 and got some great advice from Mimi!  More on that later.  :)

-DSC02448



I used Simplicity 2219 for the pattern because I wanted a maxi dress that I could wear a regular bra with.



The fabric was bought from the swap meet for less than $1/yard.  All in all, this was probably less than $3 worth of fabric!

-DSC02447

Now here's the problem.  It's a lovely dress from the front, but from the side...

-DSC02450


Yikes!  It definitely makes me look pregnant and gives me a HUGE rear!  It actually looks much worse on.  :(  I tried belting it, but it looked awkward.

Basically, the advice that mimi g gave me was to add a waistband because empire cuts really only flatter larger shaped gals.  The good news is that I'm a smaller girl!  The bad news is that I have to take apart my dress, insert a waistband, and alter the skirt before I can wear it.

Well, here's my project for the week.  I'll let you all know how it turns out because I'm determined to not just make patterns, but tailor them to fit me.  :)  Wish me luck!




12 comments:

  1. Thanks! I think I'll have time to work on it this weekend, but plans always seem to interfere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck! I thought it looked GREAT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Hopefully the tweak will make it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see how gorgeous this dress is going to be. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'm halfway done with the alterations and it's already looking better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous! You are so creative - I love your sewing projects.

    Thanks for linking up!

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very welcome, and thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful fabric Diane! Hope you can alter this dress to your liking!!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!

    Hope you have a fabulous week!

    Jill @ Creating my way
    to Success

    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! Thanks for sharing at my Pin Me Linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excited to see how it turns out! That is such a great deal on the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! The cheapskate in me loves all these fabric deals. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! And putting in your two cents is always free. :)

.