"Pantry Fresh" Pesto Pasta Salad ~ Diane's Vintage Zest!

"Pantry Fresh" Pesto Pasta Salad

A few weeks ago, I had a pool party and needed to make a quick side dish to go with my taco bar.  I perused a few recipes for a pasta salad and found this recipe which looked pretty good.  However, I didn't want to make too much from scratch, and keep it simple and quick to make.  All of these ingredients can be found in your pantry, freezer, and/or garden, but the final dish seems incredibly fresh and homemade without having to shop for groceries and spend a lot of time cooking!

The best part is that it was a hit with the guests!  I'm so glad that it was a crowd pleaser with very little effort on my part.  Mission accomplished!


Pantry Fresh Pesto Pasta Salad with Diane's Vintage Zest!


Pantry Fresh Pesto Pasta Salad
A Vintage Zest original

Ingredients

  • 1 pound pasta *(see note below)
  • 1 cup pesto, storebought or homemade
  • 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 cups cherry or pear tomatoes, halved
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
  • Fresh basil, sliced thinly (optional)




Directions

  1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
  2. Drain and return to the pot.
  3. Mix in the pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, and corn kernels.  If necessary, add salt and pepper, to taste.
  4. Cool before serving.
  5. Top with fresh basil (if using) and enjoy!



See!  It's such a super simple recipe, with all of the ingredients coming from my freezer, pantry, and garden.  I could see adding all kinds of other ingredients, such as mozzarella, feta, mushrooms, or peas.  The possibilities are endless!

For the pasta, I chose a combination of penne, bow ties, and cavatappi, which I thought was just a bit more festive!  Everyone agreed.  :)  The tomatoes were a combination of red cherry, yellow pear, and regular Roma from my mom's garden.

I'm definitely going to keep this recipe in my back pocket for any impromptu get-togethers when I need a quick dish without having to run to the store.  I hope you enjoy!


What is your favorite easy party dish?




21 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, Diane! I love basil, and cold pasta salads are so nice in the summertime. Thanks for sharing your version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I love the flavor combinations going on in it! Would love for you to link this up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop tonight! http://posedperfection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy, love pesto. This would make a great summer side dish.

    Sarah

    www.creativeramblingsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! It's definitely a hit when I bring it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! It is great in the wintertime with storebought pesto as well, but it just can't replace the fresh, summer basil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely! And for my vegetarian friends, they were content with the pasta salad and a few more sides. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! I actually have some leftover pesto that I forgot about and this would be a great way to use it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah for Friday! My Friday Flash Blog linky party is live @ The
    Jenny Evolution – a flash mob of blogs where you share your favorite posts of
    the week. Hope to see you there -- you may just get highlighted next week!

    Jennifer

    thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally! I typically don't have any leftover pesto at my house, because we eat it up like crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great pantry recipe! It sounds delicious. Thanks for linking up to the Get Inspired Weekend Blog Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really good. I'm always on the lookout for pesto recipes. Hopping here from What to do Weekends.
    Marie @ http://123craftcafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing at Krafty Inspiration Thursday!
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Maria @ Krafty Cards etc.
    http://kraftycardsetc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had sundried tomatoes with pesto sounds like a wonderful combination. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this super fast and easy recipe! Perfect for a crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Diane,

    Your Pasta Salad looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love pesto! So, I know I would love this salad. I've been eating so much salad dishes during the summer. Throw sun-dried tomatoes into the mix and you've got a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's one of my favorites! When I lived in Nashville, the Mellow Mushroom had a pizza that a pesto base with sun-dried tomatoes and feta. I ordered it whenever I was studying for block exams, so I definitely gave them a ton of business. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds delish! Our fav is our broccoli salad! Thanks for linkin up to Sunday FUNday!

    Kristine -The Foley Fam {unedited}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for sharing at Krafty Inspiration Thursday! This recipe has been featured on the Krafty Inspiration Thursday Recipe Round-Up over at Krafty Cards etc. You can view the post here: http://kraftycardsetc.blogspot.com/2013/08/krafty-inspiration-thursday-recipe.html
    Have a lovely Sunday!
    Maria @ Krafty Cards etc.
    http://kraftycardsetc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome! Thanks for the feature. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! And putting in your two cents is always free. :)

.