Tip: Super Easy Photo Fixes ~ Diane's Vintage Zest!

Tip: Super Easy Photo Fixes

Before sitting down to write this, I wondered, "Should I really be the person to dispense photographic technical advice?"  With my track record of losing data and terrible photographs (click on any post to see evidence), maybe not.

Then again, if I can make this simple improvement to a picture, ANYONE can!



I noticed that my pictures taken at night are drastically different than those taken in the daylight.  Duh!  While trying to increase the brightness, I happened upon these three minor adjustments that make for a quick fix!



What You Will Need
A terrible photograph (or about a million in my case)
Photo Editing software: I used an old version of Photoshop on my trusty old Mac

Disclaimer: The process will be different in newer versions of the software or on PCs.  Also, there are much better adjustments that can be made, or filters that can make amazing photographs.  Basically, if you are willing to put in time and effort to manually fix each aspect, it will lead to beautiful photographs...  but that's completely over my head.


1. Open the picture in photoshop.

2. In my version: Go to Image --> Adjustments --> Auto Levels.



3. Go to Image --> Adjustments --> Auto Contrast.



4. Go to Image --> Adjustments --> Auto Color.



5. Amaze at the wonderful photo you just unearthed!

Your webpage can go from this...



To this!


Those awful orange-tinged night photos are totally different!  I'm not even sure that those desserts looked as good in real life.  :)

Some photos will not be helped by this method unfortunately, while others look better with only 1 or 2 of the adjustments.  It's up to you to keep an eye on the photo while "fixing" it and to use that "Undo" button like crazy.

Anybody have any easy fixes that I should know about?  I'm addicted!


8 comments:

  1. Love your awesome blog! I'm your newest follower from Blog Hop. Followed you via Pinterest & bloglovin. Feel free to visit, follow and leave comments @ www.revampspunkyrena.com

    xoxo
    Rena Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! I do most of my blogging at night and I was at my wits end!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I wasn't sure if this would help anyone, so I'm glad you could get use out of it!

      I also do most of my sewing, blogging, and cooking at night, so either I have to wait until the next day to photograph my finished items or just make do with the terrible lighting. I seriously can't believe how much some of my photos improved!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to have to start playing with my contrasts. I usually brighten everything since I never have good light.. but I think your tips will help so much more!

    Holly at Not Done Growing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just learning how to use Photoshop, so stuff like this is super appreciated!! Ugh, and I hate night pictures (which is when I almost always end up taking mine, haha). I have started learning how to use premade actions in Photoshop - I have to play around to find the right one, but there are some that almost always brighten up my pictures and make them look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for these awesome tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome! I'm actually updating this soon as one of my Blogging 101 posts, so you'll probably find even more awesome tips in that post! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! And putting in your two cents is always free. :)

.